Friday, April 26, 2013

grace.

I read an article recently in which the author criticizes the recent “adoption movement” within Christianity. She had a number of accusations, most of which were based on extreme examples that come nowhere close to the typical evangelical adoptive family, but her more widespread criticism was basically that Christians were adopting with ulterior motives - wanting to somehow ingratiate ourselves to God and earn His favor. I can understand the confusion. Most religions are works-based and when your worldview is based on this type of mindset, then the author would be dead on. That is where the mystery of God's grace comes in.

God's promises are unchangeable. He does not base His favor on our performance, He gives it freely in spite of our performance. We show compassion, we reach out to this world, not to get closer to God - but because we already are walking with Him. The choice that we have to make, however, is whether we will live in the grace He provides or watch it from the outside. We can get caught up in the incredible wave of what God is doing in the world, or we can go our own way and do our own thing, and miss out on the best God has in store for us. Is that a little bit selfish? Perhaps. I want to be in God's will because I know that is what is best for my life, but it is a response to understanding who God is and His incredible love for me, not a means of earning that love. And because I know the heart of God, I know that His best for my life is also what is best for those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment